The Arthur Crawford Market, now known as Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Market was founded by Mr. Arthur Crawford, C. S., Municipal Commissioner from 1865 to 1871, and was presented to the city in 1865.
The market consists of a Central Hall surrounded by a clock tower with a height of 39 014 metres (128 feet). The hall contains drinking water fountain donated by Sri Cowasjee Jehangir. The office as well as the residence of the superintendent and clock tower are situated on the northwest, the godowns, the purveying shops and fowl rooms on the south and the mutton and beef markets on the east.
The right-wing meant for fruits and flowers measures 45.120 m.(150 feet) X 30.480 m. (100 feet) and the left one meant for vegetables measures 106.680 m. (350 feet) x 30.480 m. (100 feet). The whole is covered with a double iron roof. Over the entrance gate are bas reliefs executed by J. Lockwood Kipling who designed the fountain also. The ground is paved with flagstones from Caithness.
The mutton and beef markets are situated on the other side of the central garden. At the western end is a covered weighing shed, where consignments are first tested before being distributed to the stalls for retail sale. The enclosure was originally laid out as a garden with a handsome fountain in the centre. The Phule Market is the principal fruit market of Bombay.